The Hype® range of femoral stem is a complete range of self locking stems dedicated to primary total hip arthroplasty. These stems have a 12/14 (5°43’) taper.
A total of 9 stems are available, including two short stems, in standard and lateralised offsets (6 mm lateralisation compared with standard stems), and also two cemented stems.
Characteristics and materials
- Stems are available in short and standard, cementless and cemented, collared and collarless versions.
- Homothetic size progression of stem collars (except for the coxa vara stem).
- CCD angle : 120° for the coxa vara stem and 130° for other stems in the range.
- 12/14 (5°43’’) taper which needs to be used with SERF “I”, “D”, or “C” heads with the same 12/14 taper.
- Cemented stems : stainless steel.
- Cementless stems : titanium alloy with titanium spray + dual coating made of titanium spray and HA.
- Femoral heads: “I” made from stainless steel and “D” made from Biolox® delta ceramic.
- The same instrumentation set for all standard-length stems.
- Additional set for Hype® Mini stems.
- A wide choice of broach handles for the different approaches : posterior, posterolateral, anterior and anterolateral.
Hype® stems are indicated in the following cases :
- First-stage surgery.
- Advanced joint destruction resulting from rheumatoid or post-traumatic arthritis.
- Primary or secondary osteoarthritis, displaced subcapital and transcervical fracture as well as for Paprosky type I to IIB bone defects.
Hype® mini implants are more specifically indicated for anterior approaches or when the use of a shorter stem is more appropriate.
Contraindications of Hype® stems are as follows :
- Acute or chronic local or systemic infection (cardiopathy, decompensated diabetes, continuous haemodialysis, reduced immune response, etc.).
- Severe muscular, neurological or vascular deficiencies affecting the extremity concerned.
- Bone destruction or loss, or poor bone quality likely to affect implant stability, severe osteoporosis, major deformity of the joint to be replaced, local bone tumours.
- All related conditions which could compromise the function or implanting of the prosthesis.
- Systemic or metabolic disorders.
- Mental incapacity of patients to understand the surgeon’s instructions.
- Drug addiction, alcohol, tobacco or medicine abuse.
- Local bone tumours.
- Obesity, excess weight, high level of physical activity, intense exercise, after a fall.
- Size-1 Hype® SCC and Hype® SCS stems must only be used in patients weighing less than 55 kg.
- Size-2 Hype® SCC, Hype® SCS and Hype® SCL stems must only be used in patients weighing less than 70 kg.
- Hype® Mini stems are not recommended for use in obese or overweight patients.
- The size-2 mini Hype® stem is not recommended for use in patients weighing 70 kg or over.
- The size-2 Hype® SCV stem must only be used in patients weighing less than 70 kg.