The Libra® range of implant is composed by self locking stems dedicated to primary total hip arthroplasty. The stems have a 11/13 (4°) taper.
Characteristics and materials
- Standard or lateralised, collared or collarless version.
- Cemented or cementless versions, with or without support.
- CCD angle of 130°.
- A 11/13 (4°) taper which needs to be combined with SERF “SI” or “SD” heads with the same 11/13 taper.
- Cementless stems: titanium alloy and HAP
- Cemented stems: fully polished high-nitrogen stainless steel.
- Femoral heads: “SI” made from stainless steel or “SD” made from Biolox® delta ceramic.
- An unique instrumentation
- A wide choice of broach handles for the different approaches : posterior, posterolateral, anterior and anterolateral.
The Libra® stem range is indicated in the following cases:
- Primary or secondary osteoarthritis
- Advanced articular destruction as a result of rheumatoid arthritis or an injury
- Fracture or avascular necrosis
- Following an earlier operation, including a hip replacement
- Libra® implants are mainly recommended in the case of primary or secondary osteoarthritis, displaced subcapital and transcervical fractures or Paprosky type I to IIB bone defects.
Contraindications of the Libra® stem range are as follows:
- Local or systemic acute or chronic infections (heart disease, uncompensated diabetes, regular hemodialysis, impairment of the immune system, etc.)
- Severe muscular, neurological or vascular deficiencies affecting the extremity concerned
- Destruction, loss or poor bone quality that could affect the stability of the implant, severe osteoporosis, serious deformation of the joint that needs replacing, local bone tumours
- Any associated disorder that could compromise the function or the implantation of the prosthesis
- Systemic or metabolic issues
- A patient’s intellectual incapacity to understand the surgeon’s instructions
- Addiction to drugs, alcohol, smoking or medication
- Local bone tumours
- Obesity, excess weight, intense activity, intensive sports training, falls
Note: The packaging labels for “Libra ® HA”, “Libra ® HA A”, “Libra ® C” and “Libra ® C A” stems in size 1, as well as “Libra ® HA”, “Libra ® HA A”, “Libra ® HA OF”, “Libra ® C”, “Libra ® C A” and “Libra ® C OF” stems in size 2, have a
pictogram showing weight restrictions quite explicitly (see figure 11).
– size 1 uncemented “Libra® HA” and “Libra® HA A” stems must only be used on patients weighing less than 55 kg (see figure 11 A )
– size 2 uncemented “Libra® HA”, “Libra® HA A” and “Libra® HA OF” stems must only be used on patients weighing less than 70 kg (see figure 11 B )
– size 1 cemented “Libra® C” and “Libra® C A” stems must only be used on patients weighing less than 55 kg (see figure 11 C )
– size 2 cemented “Libra® C”, “Libra® C A” and “Libra® C OF” stems must only be used on patients weighing less than 70 kg (see figure 11 D ).